7.10.2017

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood - Review




The Handmaid's Tale
By Margaret Atwood
311 pages
Available at: IndieBound || Amazon.com || Barnes & Noble


Background - "Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are valued only if their ovaries are viable. Offred can remember the days before, when she lived and made love with her husband Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now…."

My Review -

When I picked up this book, the Hulu show had not started. I struggled to read it because it felt real and raw and slightly worried me.... I lied, it worried me deeply. I read, watched the show and felt that it was definitely worth my time. I didn't like how it ended but my hope is that it ended on a good note.

It worried me because I felt that there was no way our world will be like what was portrayed. But early this year when thousands of women and allies were protesting for women's rights (and are still protesting), I kept going back to this book and thinking... what if? (I know, it will NEVER happen.. but what if?)

I kept going back because I was scared and worried. I imagined a world where women didn't have rights, women were against other women, women were seen as sacrificial lambs and brainwashed into thinking they were less than man and women were stuck in this never ending reinforcing loop of injustice and silence.. silence of thoughts, words, and feelings. I know there are still places in the world where this is normal, but I refuse to let this ever come close to the new normal for me or anyone I know.

It is a very good read for many women.
It is a reminder to US that we will NEVER let this happen.
It is also a reminder for us to know that for parts of the world where this is happening, we will continue to fight for our sisters, mothers, and children.

To support women all over the world, please visit the following links-

Planned Parenthood #StandWithPP!
UN Foundation  #UNWomen
Every Woman Every Child #EWEC
HeForShe #HeForShe

This is clearly not an exhaustive list, and there are SEVERAL ways to make a tiny impact. Look at your surroundings and ask how you can help.



No comments:

Post a Comment