12.09.2015

5 Newsletters/Websites to Subscribe to


I'm pretty sure I received more than 100 emails this week. Look at yours, and list 5 emails that you actually read. Is that another email from Zara ? or another one from Urban Outfitters or Pinterest,  Refinery ?? What's in your mailbox ?

I receive way too many emails from retailers, lifestyle websites and the occasional give me your money mongers. Recently, I started to unsubscribe to all the shopping subscriptions, home goods and a lot of other emails that would eventually end up in the trash. Through this process, I also realized I wasn't receiving anything that was helping me learn, or enriching me in any way and I started scouring the inter webs for newsletters and websites that I thought were interesting and fun to read when I wake up, when I'm bored, or when I want to be updated on whats going on in the world.

Here are 5 newsletters/websites I'm currently loving if you are interested.


1. For news and current events with a little bit of dry/sometimes funny jokes - 
 Newsletter - The Skimm - Founded by two 20 something year old women who decided to bring the news to  our mailbox every morning. I really like this because they summarize all the current  "trending" news and sometimes, they have guest writers who brings in a different voice on events that I wouldn't necessarily read about, like basketball, or whats going on with the presidential race, or when princess Charlotte releases new pictures. They also have catchy funny sentences, today I smiled for maybe 5 seconds to - "Hello, it’s me. If you’re thinking the NSA heard that, they didn’t. Over the weekend, the NSA ended its phone surveillance program". Wake up with them every morning here.


2. For politics, style, life, work and a little bit of Feminism - 
Newsletter -  Lenny - This is a very recent newsletter created by Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner. What I really love in Lenny are the interviews they have with many diverse women. I especially loved the interview with Jenna Lyons and Constance Wu of Fresh Off the Boat. At first, I was worried about how the newsletter would be, but I'm loving it so far. If you'd like to hear about Jenna Lyon's watermelon skirt, or read an interview with Hilary Clinton, or learn more about women hormonal issues, I'd recommend you subscribe here.


3.For those that want to be global citizens, and those that want to hear a little bit of good news -  
Newsletter - The Daily Good - Ever browse through the news stations and all you hear is bad news ? Fear no more! There are some people on earth that still share good news!! I remember growing up with CNN on the TV 24/7 (minus when there was no electricity) and all we would hear is bad news from all over the world. It seems that good news is not worth coverage these days, which is disheartening as someone that loves hearing good news even if it doesn't have anything to do with me. Become a global citizen! 



4. For those that are interested in M&A's, CEO's being convicted, and a little bit of businesses, and maybe stocks... - Newsletter - Fortune CEO - It's not everyday that you read the news about Avon being sold to a private equity (not yet, but quite possible), Morgan Stanley planning to lay off a lot of people, or business news in general. If you are interested in something like this, I'd get to it.


5. For answers to questions you may or may not be interested in, and for all the funny questions people ask -  Subscription - Quora Digest - Quora is one of the very fun, interesting and informative sites that I sincerely like. When you sign up, you have the opportunity to sign up for different feeds that are aligned to your interests. For example, I'm interested in clothing and apparel, business, start-up companies, food, fashion and style, and cooking. Once you specify what you are interested in, and it could be ANYTHING, you get a feed that shows questions people ask that relates to your interests, and they aren't always serious questions and answers, sometimes people ask questions like what is it like to wear a skirt with no underwear (no judgement) and it is very interesting to read answers to questions like this. If you'd like to see answers to questions about dressing your 50 year old boyfriend, or if it is OK to send a hungry child to bed, Join Quora!

Do you subscribe to any fun newsletters ? Please share, I'd love to see them!

Have a great day!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment